Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 13:01, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 27.08.2019 18:14, Björn Persson wrote:
> > If it could come from anywhere, then we must assume that it's malicious.
> > You executed untrusted code. It's already past your firewall. Game over,
> > you're infected. You're closing the stable door after the horse has
> > bolted.
>
> Any application can run backdoor or proxy on your machine with disabled
> firewall. Everyone from the Internet can connect it.
>
> If the firewall is enabled and all ports are closed, hacker cannot
> access your system. They will need to bypass firewall first and this is
> much more difficult.

You are both talking past each other and not seeming to get anywhere.

Bjorn is talking about where the backapp is not opening up a localport
but tunnelling out via a vpn to a command and control device. The only
way to stop that is where your firewall also drops outbound
connections. Since most firewalls do not do that, the attack vector
they are discussing will bypass a firewall.

Vitaly is talking about the other attack where the backdoor app opens
a local listening port which can then be access from the outside. This
used to be the standard security hole because setting up a CC and
doing reverse networking was hard for most hackers.

The problem is that most toolkits come with the VPN solution these
days so a hacking group don't have to be rock-stars in
programming/networking to set it up. N number of satoshi on some
darkweb will get you a javascript tool which can be injected on a
webpage and do all the work for the hacker. So Bjorn is trying to
point out that the problem you need to worry about is not solved by
the shipped firewall. Instead some level of application firewall would
be needed to even 'try' to stop this.

> --
> Sincerely,
>   Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)