Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 15:17, Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Windows shows a pop-up.

To be fair, I've just checked and Windows 10 doesn't show a pop-up;
better than that: when you (enter the password and) hit "connect", it
asks there whether it's a private network and you want to share
resources, yes or no, that's it. If you click "no" or just ignore that
and close the networking applet, the default is "public", and the
firewall is closed.

At any point, if you go back to the networking applet in the task bar,
you see "disconnect" and a "properties" button. In properties (in a
new window), the first thing you see is whether this connection is
considered public or private, and you can change it also there.

I'd say that this is a pretty good user experience. You don't see
"firewall" anywhere, nor any other complicated configuration option,
and it's still easy for the user to Do The Right Thing (TM) from the
security point of view.

Iñaki