Re: Join the new Minimization Team

On Monday, August 26, 2019 9:16:30 PM MST Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 06:46:29PM -0700, John Harris wrote:
>
> > On Monday, August 26, 2019 5:50:53 AM MST Christian Glombek wrote:
> >

> > > Wow, a model like _distroless_ is exactly what I think we need in and
> > > from
> > > Fedora to enable making those minimal, purpose-built and
> > > service-specific
> > > containers.
> > >
> > > I was thinking of a concept that has rpm-ostree compose a set of
> > > packages
> > > to a root dir, and put that in a container with Buildah.
> > > Not sure how feasible it would be to add that functionality (as opposed
> > > simply using dnf for this), but I'm thinking it would be super neat to
> > > have a coreos-assembler that also does container composes from an
> > > ostree manifest, in the same way it assembles OS images in different
> > > formats for different platforms.
> > >
> > > I'd also like to link to Adam's super informational page here:
> > > https://asamalik.fedorapeople.org/container-randomness/report-f31.html
> > > It would be great if we could include infos about the package sets of
> > > our
> > > ostree-based composes in there as well (FCOS, Silverblue and IoT). Also
> > > note that our container scratch build size has gone up dramatically in
> > > F31
> > > (I don't know why, yet).
> > >
> > > cc'ing Ben Breard and Sanja Bonic for their general interest in the
> > > Minimization effort.
> >

> > That sort of container is exactly the kind of thing that *cannot be
> > maintained*. I say this as a sysadmin in a fairly large environment, that
> >
> > container simply *would not get updated*. It'd sit until it either quit
> > working or somebody noticed it and removed it because it was a security
> > risk,  full of vulnerabilities.
>

>   John, if you do not want to use the containers, then don't do it.
> There are people who like containers and are serious about them.  Being
> serious means that one has automated pipeline that builds, tests and
> deploys updated container, without engaging sysadmins.
>
>   Your remarks do not move discussion forward.  The point is how to get
> smallest viable container.  Your comments ignore decades of experience
> of containerising workloads.
>
> --
> Tomasz   .. oo o.   oo o. .o   .o o. o. oo o.   ..
> Torcz    .. .o .o   .o .o oo   oo .o .. .. oo   oo
> o.o.o.   .o .. o.   o. o. o.   o. o. oo .. ..   o.
> Fedora Code of Conduct:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/ List
> Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines List
> Archives:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not saying not to use containers. There is a right way to do it, and a
wrong way to do it. A container should be as the name describes, a
containerized installation of the distro in question, with the utilities
needed to support a given role. Not something that never gets updated, never
gets security fixes. Deploying new GNU/Linux based systems without engaging a
sysadmin or the sysadmin team sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I disagree, and I find your remarks to be quite hostile. The smallest viable
container can exist without getting rid of required utilities, such as the
package manager.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity