Re: Laptop powerdown when early boot incl. bootloader phase stuck (Was: Bug 1742953 - No Screensaver/Powerdown after Inactivity at LUKS Password Prompt)

On Friday, August 23, 2019 12:34:50 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> GRUB verifies the signature of the kernel before it is booted, in the
> Secure Boot enabled case.

Correct, but that's one architecture, but failing to load an image is a fatal
error.

> a. Press any key before the timeout and it won't shutdown
> b. Power back on, and don't walk away, so you can press any key before
> the timeout, and it won't shut down

There is currently no functionality in GRUB for a timeout upon a fatal error.
If there was, how exactly would that be useful? You'd get back to your system,
and it's just shut down for some random reason. You power it back on,
expecting to get back to work, and suddenly there's the same error that could
have just been waiting for you right there on the screen.

Regardless, if implemented, that works when it's your only system. What do you
do when you're a sysadmin managing a few hundred workstations? Just wait for
users to complain about individual systems?

> The only way you're going to troubleshoot bootloader problems is
> having the equivalent of physical access.

Right, that or IPMI or KVM, but I don't know what that would have to do with
implementing a timeout in GRUB.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity