Re: Bug 1742953 - No Screensaver/Powerdown after Inactivity at LUKS Password Prompt [FutureFeature]

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:37 PM John Harris <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:35:05 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:35 PM John Harris <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > I think we can all agree that shutting the system down is not the
> > > appropriate
>  behavior, right?
> >

> > I do not agree at all, even a little bit.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Murphy
>
> Okay, why?

I've already explained why upthread. I put it in the category of
'unintentionally absurd behaviors' and this being planet Earth, it's a
very long list. There is no good reason for the current behavior, in
particular on a laptop. And it's fail danger, not fail safe. The very
simple work around for the computer shutting off in 3 minutes of
inactivity and you don't like that? Power it back on and enter your
passphrase. Shockingly easy and obvious. Unless of course you're stuck
somewhere and in fact want to use your laptop as a heating pad.

And just to be extra clear, I am referring primarily to laptops. But
the current behavior is specious, as default, even for a desktop. For
servers, sure you may very well have a use case for a reboot, and it
might take an hour for someone to get there with a keyboard, although
that too is a little bit specious. I'd expect the more difficult a
server is to access, the more effort would be put into having it
equipped with a TPM or a hardware key for this purpose.

--
Chris Murphy