Re: Missing arches on EPEL 8 for LibRaw?

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 09:52, Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 16.08.2019 6:22, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > > I assume this is because LibRaw is available in RHEL but only for x86_64
> > > and ppc64le?
> >
> > The same as Pidgin and lots of other apps/libs. You need to add
> > "ExclusiveArch: x86_64 ppc64le" in order to build your package successfully.
> >

> This has been reported in the EPEL issues
> https://pagure.io/epel/issue/66  (Graphical Libraries/Desktop missing
> from RHEL8 aarch64 and s390x)
>
> I like the issue because it has a full list of the packages that are
> only available on x86_64 and ppc64le.
> Besides the full list of packages, I think the next important is the comment
>
> "I have been told that the RHEL team is aware of this problem, and
> have several bugs open because of it. I have also been told that it
> will not be fixed in RHEL 8.1. Let's hope for RHEL 8.2."
>
> So, yes, do the ExclusiveArch, but keep in the back of your mind that
> this is only needed temporarily ... hopefully.

So part of the reason for this is that the old method of trying to
make this happen is broken.

In EPEL-6 and EPEL-7 we would have a person who needed a package dep
to rebuild the package in EPEL but with a slightly lower NVR to make
it so we did not replace on the x86_64 platform whatever missing
package there was. However what happens constantly is that those
packages end up never getting updated so any updates in RHEL can cause
CVE warnings or other problems. Or some packager who doesn't know this
package can't be upgraded to the latest, does so.. and we have now
broken customers on x86_64 with no way to 'fix them'. Since the ratio
of x86_64 to the next major architecture is 100,000:1 that is a lot of
boxes broken for some smaller set.

So for EPEL-8 we are not allowing for the 'limited arch' packages. At
this point if a package is not shipped across architectures, please
use Exclusive Arch towards the ones it is shipped on'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.