Re: Let's revisit the FTBFS policy

FW> Debian treats FTBFS bugs as release-critical.  They either have to
FW> be fixed, or the package gets removed from the release.  However,
FW> this is not an automated process.

Of course, Debian works on a slightly different release schedule, so
it's not exactly a direct comparison.

FW> I wonder if something similar could work for Fedora: The package
FW> would remain available in rawhide, but would be removed from the
FW> release composes.

That's an interesting option, I suppose.  In part I think it depends on
just why some people have been upset over the recent orphaning.  Is it
the removal from the distribution, the shock of having the project say
"we don't want this package any longer", the fact that user's won't be
able to access the package any longer, the annoyance with process for
getting the package into the distribution if it's fixed, or something
else?  (Certainly those aren't mutually exclusive and the true answer is
more complicated and differs between people.)

Technical solutions to some of these are possible, though I don't know
how feasible they would be.  Procedural solutions (such as making it
easier for such packages to get back into the distribution) could also
help.

FW> In the end, someone has to fix the packages eventually, and the
FW> package maintainers are probably best qualified to deal with that.
FW> If they lack the resources for that, it points to a much more
FW> significant problem that needs solving separately, I think.

Yes, this is fundamental.

 - J<