Re: Why retire Python 2 packages and games that still work to end user ?

Hi,

On 11-08-19 01:05, Sérgio Basto wrote:
Hi,

Why we would retire childsplay or gcompris or gdesklets ? IMHO we still
haven't a replacement .

childsplay and gcompris maintainer here.

Childsplay has been in a zombie state upstream for years, some work has
been done upstream but mostly focusing on reusing the code into a memory
trainer app for the elderly, rather then on educational activities.
Childsplay has always had a significant overlap with gcompris, given
the lack of upstream activity and the overlap with gcompris the time has
come to retire childsplay

gcompris has been replaced upstream by gcompris-qt, which is also in
Fedora and which we will keep around.

Both gcompris and childsplay have not seen much if any upstream love for
yeas now and have been kept functional only because of my efforts to keep
them building and working. The lack of any realistic path to get these
ported over to Python 3 is the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

The same goes e.g. for vegastrike which also has seen close to no
activity upstream for I guess 5 years at least...

Regards,

Hans