Re: seabios / seabios-bin split in Fedora - why?

On 08/08/19 16:14, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to package OpenSBI RISC-V firmware for Fedora
> (https://github.com/riscv/opensbi).  It's a similar situation to
> SeaBIOS and other architecture firmware.  We have to cross-compile a
> binary on potentially any Koji architecture, and end up with a noarch
> package, because the final firmware blob can be installed on any
> architecture too.
>
> Here's my initial attempt:
>
>   https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=36861731
>   http://oirase.annexia.org/reviews/opensbi/opensbi.spec
>
> I needed to use %global _binaries_in_noarch_packages_terminate_build 0
> to stop RPM complaining about:
>
>   error: Arch dependent binaries in noarch package
>
> SeaBIOS uses the same workaround:
>
>   https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/seabios/blob/master/f/seabios.spec
>
> But also it builds an empty seabios package and then builds the binary
> into seabios-bin.  Does anyone remember why that was needed?

It's just backwards compatibility.  seabios is a noarch package because
you can use it to run emulated x86 virtual machines on non-x86
architectures.  At the same time, we wanted the build to happen on an
x86 machine so that was done via the empty package + ExclusiveArch.

Fedora builds of seabios and other firmware support cross compilation
these days though, so you don't need the hack anymore.  You only need to
allow arch dependent binaries in noarch packages.  Also, please install
the binaries in /usr/share, not /usr/lib.

Paolo