Re: Disappearing mouse pointer

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 9:03 AM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use the default GNOME desktop, using Wayland with Intel graphics.  I
> have a web browser, a terminal, and an editor running on desktop 1.
> On desktop 2 (i.e., where Ctrl-Alt-Down takes you) I have virt-manager
> running, with open windows for whichever VMs are currently in use.
>
> Yesterday, I updated my Fedora 30 machine.  See the list of updated
> packages below.  After rebooting into the new kernel, I interacted
> with a CentOS 7 VM for maybe 10 minutes.  When I moved the mouse
> pointer out of the VM window on desktop 2, the pointer vanished.  That
> is, the mouse pointer is now invisible on desktop 2, except when it is
> inside the VM window.  If I switch back to desktop 1, the mouse
> pointer is visible, unless I move it onto the menu bar at the top of
> the screen, where it also vanishes.
>
> Logging out and then back in restored the mouse pointer, but after
> working with the VM for just a few minutes, the mouse pointer
> disappeared again, exactly as before.  Opening system settings brought
> the mouse pointer back, for some reason.

Weirdly I'm not seeing this on Fedora 30, I'm only seeing it on
Rawhide, and I haven't figured out a pattern because it doesn't always
happen.

Also I'm only using Rawhide VM's in virt-manager, so I'm not certain
the guest matters but that's speculative. Definitely it's related to
virt-manager and intel graphics because I'm not using anything other
than those two.

My Fedora 30 laptop has
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Skylake
GT2 [HD Graphics 520] [8086:1916] (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])

My Fedora 31 laptop (with this transient issue) has
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd
Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
[8086:0126] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

So it might be a controller specific bug, possibly kernel regression.
But I'm not sure what components are responsible for the drawing of
the pointer, and how it's negotiated when it transitions a
virt-manager guest window, and all the ways that could cause confusion
in a way to make the pointer vanish.

--
Chris Murphy