Re: python2->python3 mass rebuild and auto tools

On 02. 08. 19 5:21, Steve Grubb wrote:
On Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:37:47 PM EDT Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 01. 08. 19 23:44, Steve Grubb wrote:
On Thursday, August 1, 2019 4:37:01 AM EDT Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 01. 08. 19 4:43, Steve Grubb wrote:
Audit. But is seems that autotools shoul hard code the old sematics so
that all packages do the right thing. It seems that python3 equivalents
have been introduced. They do the right thing with the python
migration.
But there are things that are expectd to defaulto python 2.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/audit/pull-request/4

Autotools usually already does the right thing, aka choosing python2 if
it
cannot find python. Using "python" in Fedora packages is forbidden
anyway.

I applied your patch. Thanks.

But I am concerned that this is a bandaid because it patches the spec
file and all distributions will have to do the same thing.

How does this Fedora impact other distributions?

Because eventually we all (distros) have to go through it. So, if autotools
handled this gracefully, I and everyone else would have a configure.ac file and
Makefile.am that just does the right thing. So, I am faced with making an
announcement on my project's mail list that maintainer on other distros have
to do this hack because autotools is incapable of doing the right thing.
There is no migration plan for autotools. We could have got in front of this
and helped make it smooth.

My package is now built in rawhide thanks to your patch. Fedora is OK. I just
worry about bug reports rolling in on other distros upstream.

I've talked to my friend at SUSE, who I know is much better with autotools than me and also knows Python. He expressed one thing that I think is worth mentioning here:

There is no point to "fix" AM_PATH_PYTHON to search for Python 2 only, introducing AM_PATH_PYTHON3 etc. just for the remaining 5 months of Python 2 lifetime.

Instead, please focus on getting rid of python2-audit (required bya udit-viewer and python2-policycoreutils (that is required only by dokuwiki-selinux and vdsm (broken since Fedora 28))).

--
Miro Hrončok