Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers (75 to be retired)

Hi,

On 26-07-19 18:25, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On 7/26/19 4:25 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

1) Have some automated process automatically email co-maintainers when the
primary maintainer orphan the package.

That should already be the case? FMN should mail you... perhaps this
isn't working?

If this is already happening, then the problem probably is the mails
are coming from either notifications@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or from
pagure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I've a mail filter putting all these
into a "Notifications" folder. Both mail sources generate way too
much spam and have inadequate filtering options. I pretty much
auto-delete the contents of the "Notifications" folder once in a while.

I believe I've discussed this either here or in FESco pagure in the
past, for someone who owns a significant amount of packages the systems
simply generate too much spam. Last time we discussed this I suggested
tagging all email with a priority and allow filtering on the sending
side by priority. Until then I guess me and probably a lot of others
will miss the occasional important notification since the signal to
noise ratio in these emails is simply too high on the noise side.

2) Make taking over the package a 1 click action

There's work to get this happening...

That is good to hear. Fixing this / fixing the regression in
developer-experience compared to pre pagure / has been in the pipeline
for quite a while now. Is there an ETA on this actually getting fixed?

Proposal to really fix this. We often say that people should not feel they
own a package, but that this is all a team effort, hence we also promote
co-maintainer ship, so I propose that:

1) We get rid of the concept of primary maintainer + co-maintainers, a
package
simple has 1-n maintainers, who are all equal.

The reason we have a main admin/point of contact is because bugzilla
makes us set one email address/account as assigned and the rest get CC'ed.

That said, we could:
* make a bugzilla user for every package named
'packagename-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
* assign bugs for that package to that user (no ccs)

This would allow us to avoid a main admin/point of contact.
On the other hand you couldn't tell from bugzilla what humans were
behind that alias, which some people might dislike.

I see I think that the suggestion further down in this thread
to have an alias which automatically sends email to all package
maintainers has merit.

Regards,

Hans