Re: HEADS UP: Source File Verification

Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> I'm more worried about it relying on GPG at the moment considering the state of
> the SKS network [1].
> What are the changes that we end up breaking a build if we suddenly get a
> poisoned key? Are we going to break just a build or could this have more
> annoying consequences?

The build doesn't access any key servers. The packager must obtain the
correct key and include it in the source package. Normally the packager
should download the keyring directly from the upstream website over
HTTPS. If upstream doesn't provide such a keyring (which would be
rather dumb), then the packager might fetch a key from a keyserver. In
that case a problem with the SKS network could prevent the packager
from obtaining the key. This would only be a problem when the packager
initially obtains the key, not when they update the package to a new
version, and certainly not on every build. Upstream can solve the
problem by publishing a keyring, taking keyservers out of the picture
entirely.

Note that a packager who gets a key from a keyserver has a problem with
verifying that the key they received is the correct one, as anyone can
upload any key to a keyserver. That's the primary reason why upstream
projects should publish their keys on their own websites.

Björn Persson