Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Simply reclaim disk space in Anaconda

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 8:01 PM John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > ... If the change is approved, I'll suggest Docs team revise
> > documentation to recommend any resize of the pre-installed OS (macOS
> > or Windows) be done within those operating systems using their tools.
> > Right now, there's no support for resizing any macOS file system
> > layout anyway, so we have to advise the user accordingly anyway.
>
> When I do this (at least every Fedora release) I use gparted (via a
> LiveUSB if necessary) to produce the physical partitions that I want,
> then use the Manual partitioning dialog to choose and assign them.

While I think it's fine and dandy software for the task, when giving
users advice it has two drawbacks:

a. it doesn't apply to macOS
b. anaconda offers blivet-gui which has a conceptually similar
interface to gparted, but does allow assignment of mountpoints, all in
one whack; so we'd be asking users to do something quite a lot more
complicated by suggesting they use gparted and a bootable image we
don't provide.

Anyway, I'm curiously on the fence with this feature proposal. I see
no mockups of the replacement dialog. Also the proposal doesn't say
what happens to the Installation Options dialog that immediately
precedes the Reclaim Disk Space dialog. That dialog is pretty wordy.
Also the dialog proposed for replacement arguably isn't all that
simple to understand:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YxIbJKtL0FT7G0g7j5Un1PU3NLrI0K53

This is the layout for Windows 10 (created Microsoft's installer, not
an OEM - but Windows isn't installed so the reclaimable space values
are inflated). All five of those partitions are related to that single
Windows 10 installation and it's silly to be able to delete any one of
them, which has a good chance of breaking the Windows installation. OK
so it's fair to say the installer can't know about these
relationships, but it surely can know it's silly to offer two of the
small volumes for resize when even if fully resized Fedora can't fit
in the ensuing space. It's instantly a complicated adventure fraught
with peril. It could also hide all the smaller volumes, and only show
the large NTFS formatted volume. It really does need simplification
and instead of putting in that effort, I can see why the installer
team just wants to drop this dialog.

But I'm skepical of the installer transporting the user from the
automatic path, the safe road, into Custom partitioning as if they're
now an advanced user. Custom partitioning has no resize interface. You
just have to somehow know, or imagine, that you can click on a volume
and change Desired Capacity, and that this causes file system shrink
to happen. I don't really think the simple path should advocate for
the complex path. That's not what the user signed up for.

--
Chris Murphy