Re: Rolling out Phase I of rawhide package gating

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 06:31:50PM -0000, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 11:30:45AM -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> >
> > So we don't have an easy way to do this. I have a script that monitors the
> > entire pipeline/workflow in production and in staging.
> > I have been querying datagrepper for messages about the build that I've made to
> > see if/when the tests are done.
> > You can find the code in:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/monitor-gating/blob/97bc5b619032cfd3218b86378...
> > called in:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/monitor-gating/blob/97bc5b619032cfd3218b86378...
>
> This is pretty bad from a workflow perspective, especially when it's going to take 11 minutes (or 8 - I can't actually tell which from replies above) longer per-package on top of what we have now, plus time for any tests to run.

Agreed and as we said, this is opt-in and is only the first release. Not
everything is as polished as we want it to be, the core of it is though which is
why we want to have this available to the people who are interested in giving it
a try.

If: "I want to be able to follow/know what's going on" is a hard-requirement for
you to test this system, then you'll have to wait a bit longer.
If you're ok with these shortcomings, knowing they are meant to improve, then
you are more than welcome to opt-in and give us some feedback on how it works
for you.

> Your scripts are helpful, but there are a number of issues: you repeatedly send requests to datagrepper in a `while True` (is it okay with this load?  What if we all start doing it?), and you make assumptions about the number of messages that can appear in an interval.  I would want to see a proper interface for querying this (i.e., not polling datagrepper in a loop), as well as `fedpkg` integration as you suggest.

It is a reasonable request. I could quickly hack something that listens to
fedmsg and give you some clues as to what is going on for a specified build if
that's helpful to you (and others).

I've opened a ticket to fedpkg to track this idea:
https://pagure.io/fedpkg/issue/346
feel free to contribute your ideas there :)

Thanks for your feedback,
Pierre