Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 2:37 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-07-23 at 13:32 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > Unless someone can show some kind of MASSIVE benefit, I'm not in favor.
> >
> > I think too often we focus on the technical implications (performance
> > gain, etc) and sometimes don't consider wider aspects.  So I'm curious
> > what your view is.  Can you elaborate on what kind of benefit you
> > would view as warranting this?
> >
> > > It's a ton of duplication of effort, tons more disk space, tons more cpu
> > > cycles wasted, a ton more mirror disk space, a ton more bandwith, etc.
> >
> > So let's look at this statement, for example.  Everything listed is
> > machine related, except the first part on duplication of effort.
> > Machine related items are solvable with more machine resources.  (That
> > is not to be flippant, but it's far easier to solve than human
> > impact.)
>
> Well, sort of - except that, life being life, machines inevitably go
> wrong. Fans give out and they choke. Builds mysteriously fail because
> of some test flake or a neutrino hitting the CPU at just the wrong
> moment or something. Disks go wonky. And all of these things get fixed
> by...people. Adding an arch adds another arch worth of all those things
> happening and needing to be fixed by someone.

Agreed.  I'd like to frame the discussion less around "adding another
arch" and more around "adding a new thing", but you mostly correct.  I
would suggest that there is this nebulous thing called "the cloud"
that mitigates a small part of that, but I also fully understand using
that magical machine resource presents its own challenges.

> Also, we can't really solve the machine resources of mirrors. Well, I
> mean, I guess we *could*, but I doubt anyone in RH is going to sign off
> on us buying a ton of expensive storage hardware and shipping it off to
> random universities around the world...

Honestly, I'm less concerned about this.  Why?  Because anything new
like this does not immediately require the full weight of a mirror
system.  The level of interest is likely to be small enough at the
start that we can and should approach it in a measured way.

> > On the effort part, what if we structured it so it wasn't immediately
> > 2x the effort.  That would indeed be poor.  If we assume for a minute
> > that we have the machine resources, we can certainly come up with
> > workflows that facilitate something like this in a manner that doesn't
> > cause a large human overhead.  I'm actually thinking of other areas
> > that would benefit from not exactly the new architecture approach as
> > traditionally know, but a new target space that allows the Fedora
> > project to do new things.
>
> I agree that this would be possible, but it comes with the caveat that
> the people who would likely get stuck with improving the workflows are
> the same people currently being overworked by the bad workflows.

This makes the assumption that there is no influx of actual humans.
Given history, maybe that's a fair assumption.  I think for anything
new to work, we'd need at least some way to add actual human
participants.  Either by freeing up existing people, or bringing new,
interested people in.

> The 'don't do a release for a year' proposal (or whatever variations of
> it were discussed) was supposed to help with that kinda thing,
> but...that didn't happen. So, we're all still on the treadmills.

It didn't happen, but I'm seeing different approaches already being
taken to address similar issues.  The current discussion around
dropping a number of apps, for example.

All of these things require a cost/benefit analysis for sure.  That is
very hard, but it's also very healthy.  Just doing the same thing
forever just gets you the same thing forever, right?  I haven't been a
super-active Fedora participant very recently, but I'm encouraged that
the project is starting to look at things in new ways and evaluating
what is actually a valuable thing to do.  I find it very exciting.

josh