Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update

Plenty has already been said here about why we should not do this (and OMFG we should NOT do this), and I am in complete agreement.

(I have 0 machines, of 3 in my personal network, with AVX2 support. My current desktop I only bought a year and a half ago, and it's not AVX2 capable! My laptop and fileserver are 5 and 12 years old, respectively, so good luck with that.)

But even if we WERE to do this, then this:

> == Release Notes ==
> Release notes must mention how users can determine whether their
> system supports AVX2 prior to upgrading, for example by running
> <code>grep avx2 /proc/cpuinfo</code>.

...is not an acceptable WAY to do this.

grep /proc/cpuinfo!? Are you kidding me?

Unless it includes mechanisms in the install and upgrade process that would automatically prevent existing Fedora 31 users from upgrading their machines to a release that won't run on them, this proposal is doubly outrageous.

(I assume the F32 installer wouldn't even boot, in this proposed scenario, so at least new (non-)users would be covered. "...Yay.")