Re: true or false: pkgconfig(foo) vs foo-devel

Le ven. 19 juil. 2019 à 10:33, Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > > This is true for the fast majority of cases. Specially where there
> > > is
> > > only one provider of pkgconfig(foo).
> > >
> > > But sometime there is a need for a compat library and then I don't
> > > know if my package may uses the main library of the compat one.
> > > pkgconfig(foo) will pick one or the other, but using the package
> > > name
> > > is more deterministic to me.
> > >

> > Indeed, pkgconfig(foo) start to raise issues when multiple providers
> > exists.
> >
> > One example is pkgconfig(openssl)
>
> In quite a lot of cases versionned requires can disambiguate

Enforcing a higher version than what the project really support
doesn't seem appropriate. You will have to deal with some fedora
specific macros to enforce the version in related branches.
It defeats the point to use a clean and agnostic method to determine
the dependencies based on the project needs and instead relies on any
"state" of the repository.

A way to solve this is to enforce a policy where compat libraries must
disable pkgconfig automatic provide to dis-allow such unexpected
behavior.
Looking at compat-openssl10, it doesn't seem to be done.
Assuming the right library will be picked because the compat- prefix
will weight negatively on the build requirements seems fragile. One
build dependency can switch to compat, such packages dependency could
then end making the switch silently in the same time.

--
-

Nicolas (kwizart)