Re: manpath.be, man page package checks/policy

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 04:19:02PM +0200, Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so I've created https://manpath.be - a site that provides access to the
> man pages of several distributions - including several Fedora and CentOS
> versions.
>
> See also its about page https://manpath.be/about for some of its
> features (e.g. permalinks, short links, reverse links ...).

Looks interesting. One thing that seems missing at first sight is
search: it'd be great to have interactive search across sections.
Right now, it's only easy to find a page is one knows the section
and the exact name.

One issue that I had before with similar services was that it was
never possible to rely on any given one to provide _all_ man
pages. In systemd we link to man pages online from online versions
of our pages under http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/index.html,
and we have to link to a bunch of different services
(man7.org, linux.die.net, mankier.com), because we need to link
to kernel man pages, and various fringe tools, some distro-specific
man pages, etc. Two suggestions: 1. pull pages from many different
sources, 2. include a suggestion box for people to mention what
they can't find.

I don't have any comment on the issues you listed. It'd be useful to
diagnose such issues automatically. That'd probably help to cut down
on the number of issues.

Zbyszek