Re: Orphaning moby-engine (Docker)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:22 PM Olivier Lemasle <o.lemasle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 July 2019 19:56:47 CEST David Michael wrote:
> > I have orphaned moby-engine, the community Docker package in Fedora,
> > due to no longer working in a role where I can maintain it as part of
> > the job.  If anyone wants to take it, it is up to date in F30 and
> > rawhide branches (F29 was not updated for compatibility since it
> > doesn't enable SELinux), but there is an open issue that should be
> > addressed before pushing new updates:  Docker 18.09 and later
> > conflicts with runc and containerd since it dropped "docker-" prefixes
> > from its binaries.  I can describe some options and backstory if
> > needed, but I suppose you could address it however you want as the new
> > maintainer.
> >

> I'm open to maintaining this package. However, what was the reason
> "moby-engine" packaged its own version of runc and containerd, both
> packaged on their own in Fedora?

Each upstream Docker release targets a specific commit of each
component (containerd, proxy, runc, and tini) specified at:

https://github.com/docker/docker-ce/tree/v18.09.7/components/engine/hack/dockerfile/install

These specific commits are basically considered part of the release;
e.g. they are included in the Docker versions' release notes.  I'm not
aware of the initial decision to bundle the components in the Fedora
package since it was done that way from the beginning before I was a
maintainer (I'd assume it was due to previous Docker versions using
forks of the containerd and runc repos), but from experience
maintaining it for another distro, upstream would send user bug
reports back to you as the distro maintainer if there is any deviation
from what they're shipping.  It might end up being less maintenance
work by not unbundling the specified versions.

Also, when I started maintaining it for Fedora, it was explained to me
that moby-engine should follow upstream to provide an expected Docker
experience on Fedora CoreOS (since any specialized container needs
would be implemented in podman), but I don't think it is a priority
for that team anymore.  You can probably do whatever you think is best
at this point.

Thanks.

David