Re: Fedora Data Engineering SIG: interested in a Fedora SIG to work on this?

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 11:23:06 +0800, you wrote:

>I think documentation alone is not enough to make things easy, as to make
>the software better integrate with Fedora would require some more
>additional work (eg: systemd integration, quick painless installation,
>prebuilt binaries) ..
>
>What about docker images, or vendor-rpm, or automated install scripts
>approach?. Would that work?.

Not if it goes against what the users expect, as it doesn't matter if
your solution is superior if it is too different than what the
community expects / is used to.

Speaking generalities.

My position has evolved, and I have now taken the position that if a
language (like Python) has a built in infrastructure for package
installation I no longer install any Fedora packages beyond the basics
(ie the compiler/interpreter).

Whether it is good or bad, it is no longer worth fighting those
communities and instead I follow their "best practices" and use their
package systems.

You obviously can decide otherwise.

But based on the above, my advice is to see how the communities
operate and find out how best to make Fedora work for those
communities.

For example, anything that uses the JVM it is likely the only thing
that will install from Fedora is OpenJDK - the communities built
around Java will not use distribution packaged versions of the
software, preferring to install via direct downloads or Maven.

Similiarly with Python, every blog post, video, or book states to do
"pip install ..." and it doesn't matter if an RPM is better integrated
into Fedora as few will go against the community.

Obviously there are exceptions, like anything written in C where they
don't (yet) have their own packaging system and so that stuff likely
should be packaged.

Which comes back to my original post suggesting documentation, as it
isn't so much about making things easy as just making the vast
majority of potential users aware that there are other Linux
alternatives other than say Ubuntu, which seems to dominate that
existing mindset of blog posts and other documentation.