Re: Fedora Data Engineering SIG: interested in a Fedora SIG to work on this?

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 12:41:26 +0800, you wrote:

>Currently my idea on this SIG would be:
>1 - packaging data engineering related softwares into Fedora, and make them
>easy to install, covering from workflow tools (eg: airflow, luigi), data
>processing engines (eg: apache spark, flink), visualization tools
>(superset, redash) and make life easier for that. I'm not sure how much
>these tools can fit into fedora packaging guidelines (lots of bundled jars,
>and users expects upstream binaries, esp on engines such as spark/flink),
>which is something to brainstorm on.

I think this is likely a great idea, though I would advise serious
consideration before proceeding down the packaging of anything Java
related as you already indicate.

As you note, the users of Java software don't want packaged versions,
and when you combine that with the serious time commitments to even
attempt not just the initial packaging but the long term maintenance
you soon risk getting what Fedora has already seen as documented on
this list the last 6 months or so - packages being abandoned.

My reluctant policy these days is to use whatever the language
communities have set up to install anything beyond the basics, whether
it be Pip or Maven or whatever, as that just seems to be the way those
communities want things to work.

Thus I think a far better goal might be:

1) package only stuff that makes sense - ie. anything based on a
language that doesn't have its own package management system like C
based programs / libraries.

2) test - make sure that even when using Pip or others to install,
that things just work on Fedora so that anyone using or trying Fedora
gets a good experience.

3) document and promote, so that Fedora looks like a valid alternative
to the Ubuntu default that so many of these external software
developers default to.  Nicely try and get Fedora added as an
additional mention in any 3rd party documenation that assumes Ubuntu
or any other Linux distribution.