Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: No More i686 Kernels

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 23:25, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/21/19 7:26 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Stop_Building_i686_Kernels
>
> == Summary ==
> Stop building i686 kernels, reduce the i686 package to a
> kernel-headers package that can be used to build 32bit versions of
> everything else.

How does this affect the i386 as secondary architecture?

Actually, I feel this proposal is a violoent cheat and should actually
be entitled: Drop i386 as secondary architecture.

Two years ago you complained bitterly that removing i686 was bad and you wanted it kept. We then did the work towards getting the i686 sub-committee set up and sponsored so that you and others could take it from there. At the time it was set up it was clearly outlined that if it wasn't kept up, if it didn't have regular meetings and reports like the ARM and other groups do.. it would go away. Since then very little has been done with no regular reports and little traffic when people asked for help.

This isn't a cheat. This is a clear consequence outlined 2 years ago.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/x86@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/VQQ6OHMXR4RGRR75EIQHOFU36UOZX7JP/

Ralf

Stephen J Smoogen.