Re: Modularity vs. libgit

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 13:28 +0200, Adam Samalik wrote:
> To keep the expectations of Fedora's stable ABI within a release, we can't
> change the default stream of a module mind-release. I know, that's probably
> clear and that's not the issue here. But building on that, at the same
> time, we can't let "dnf update" to change streams on your system
> mid-release, because that would be basically breaking the ABI expectations
> as well — different mechanics, same problem.

OK, so, this is one I've been sitting on for a while with this. The
"within a release" thing keeps coming up here. But did you sufficiently
consider the fact that Rawhide is "a release", and needs to change like
this? If your position is "we can't change the default stream of a
module mid-release", that implies "...but we can change it between
releases". But how is a 'between releases' change ever going to happen
if it doesn't happen in Rawhide first...which is technically "mid-
release"?

AFAICS even if as a matter of policy something shouldn't be done within
a stable release, anything that can be done between releases needs to
be *technically* possible 'within a release' (i.e. within Rawhide), or
else we can't possibly do development properly, no?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey