Re: Modularity vs. libgit

20.06.2019, 22:50, "Igor Gnatenko" <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to give you an update from my last discussions on
> #fedora-modularity and other places.
>
> # Problems definition
>
> * Default modules can't have conflicting dependenices
> * Changing dependencies in a stream is not supported
>
> # Why does libgit2 has to be a module?
>
> libgit2 is not just one package. It is an ecosystem.
>
> Right now libgit2 module provides libgit2 itself and python bindings.
> While we can obviously provide libgit2_0.26, libgit2_0.27 and such,
> this does not help us with python packages. Nobody in sane mind will rename them
> and make them conflict (because they are not parallel-installable).
>
> I wanted to also add ruby bindings to a module, but I never got time
> to actually do it.

I'm the python-pygit2 maintainer (libgit2 python bindings) and I'm very much opposed to what you are doing with libgit2 and modules. It's a huge mess right now. Please go back to a known libgit2 version shipped in one Fedora, so I know which version to target with the python bindings (and so that apps have a clear story as well what to expect).

Also, I'd like you to stop shipping the python bindings inside the libgit2 module. They are working very well as a regular package. Thanks.

The parallel installable libgit2 non-modular packages that were proposed earlier sounds like a nice solution. I'd be happy to help implement that.

Pete