Automating R package dependencies

Hi R-interested packagers and others,

Recently, I've been looking at how RPM can automatically determine
Provides and Requires [1]. I have since implemented this for R using
an R script [2] and some file attributes [3]. Following other
languages' Provides, I have namespaced them as R(packageName). It then
adds corresponding Requires, Suggests, and Enhances.

Additionally, R package versions commonly contain dashes. In order to
work in RPM, these are replaced with dots. For the automated
Provides/Requires, I have used the *real* versions instead.

So now the question is how to apply this. I expect there are social
concerns, i.e., discussing with the R maintainer, making a
Self-contained Change, etc. But for this email, I am mostly concerned
with the technical aspects:

1. Is R-devel the right place to put the script and RPM attribute file
(all R packages would normally depend on this)?
2. Does this namespacing make sense?
3. Are dashes in *namespaced* versions going to be a problem?
4. Python had a flag to enable the automatic generator; do we need
this for R, and how was it implemented?
5. I expect this would need a rebuild of all packages to get the
dependencies right (because the regular rebuild is unordered); would
this need a side tag? Or would leaving it for the normal mass rebuild
just be fine?
6. R only has two levels of dependencies (hard-require or suggested,
but not installed by default). Thus both build- and runtime-optional
packages are in Suggests; do we care about the extra Suggests?

[1] https://rpm.org/user_doc/dependency_generators.html
[2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/qulogic/rpms/R/blob/autodeps/f/R-deps.R
[3] https://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/qulogic/rpms/R/blob/autodeps/f/R.attr

--