Re: lmdb fails to map large DBs on i686/s390x

On 04/06/2019 10:03, Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:

I have narrowed this down to the mmap call at [6] which attempts to
map the backing file into memory. AFAICT, the mapped size is far below
the RAM on the build machine as well as far below the normal 32-bit VM
limit. So I don't know why the call is failing.

It's not really about the physical memory because just doing the
mmap won't actually read it all in and in any case the kernel will
be quite happy to page bits in and out as needed.

The issue will be whether there is that much contiguous address
space available - on a 32 bit machine 2**28 is, at best, one
sixteenth of the potential address space.

I say at best because even with the best possible user:kernel
split at least some address space is reserved to the kernel
although that can be fairly small with some kernel configurations.

Then you have to take the memory map into account though, and
how address randomisation may have placed other mappings in
locations that mean such a large contiguous mapping is not in
fact available.

Take a look an /proc/NNN/maps for the process when the mmap
fails and see if it looks like there it a range of that size
that is actually available...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)