Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Switch RPMs to zstd compression

On Wed, 2019-05-29 at 18:05 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 5:53 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > If we did this, wouldn't it make it very difficult to use tools like
> > mock on RHEL / CentOS 7 to build for Fedora 3x?  Or does RHEL 7 RPM
> > support zstd?
> >

> We're pretty much screwed here. Also, since RHEL 8's rpm package does
> not have zstd support compiled in, it too cannot handle the RPMs.
>
> Cf. https://git.centos.org/rpms/rpm/blob/c8/f/SPECS/rpm.spec#_17-18

I just wanted to point out my post[1] in November where I suggested
using zchunk as the compression format for rpm.  IIRC, the main concern
with that proposal was compatibility with RHEL.

The one main advantage using zchunk would have over zstd would be the
ability to completely eliminated drpms, but, as mentioned in that
thread, it would require some changes to the RPM format.

Jonathan

 1:
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/YHKXMJHZW3O6EWA2WYMFWOC22KTVTPLB/