Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Disable Root Password Login in SSH

Once upon a time, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> So a lot of sites have set up that you remotely kickstart a system and then
> ansible in as root with the rest of the configurations. It is the biggest
> reason we have been keeping this as active for a long time.  You are
> breaking all those configs with a 'oh you can just login on a local
> console'. That kickstart may not have any of that..  and the last thing a
> sysadmin wants when they are building 4000 nodes somewhere is find out that
> they need to add another 20 steps to their post..

Well, I'd assume before building 4000 nodes, they'd test the kickstart
(I test mine extensively on VMs before using on a real box).  It isn't
"another 20 steps" - either a sed one-liner to allow root or a mkdir and
a echo to add an SSH key (which you'd probably do anyway if you're doing
the rest with Ansible).

> Make it a predefined kickstart thing they can do so all they have to do is
> add a line in it that says
>
> ssh_remote --user=<account> --keyfile=<url> --yesIwantrootandIknowitsbad

If this is the desired path, I'd go with a couple of additional
arguments to existing directives:

  --enablerootssh (for rootpw or maybe auth?)
  --sshkey (for both rootpw and user directives)

No matter if this proposal is done, having an --sshkey option would be
nice, especially for Ansible use.

I think this OpenSSH change to follow upstream (and many other OS)
config is a good and overdue thing.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>