Re: Hacking modversions

--On Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:10 PM -0800 "Barry K. Nathan" <barryn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps DKMS would be a more suitable solution then...

I'm reading the white paper and this looks like something that should be in Fedora, at least in Extras if not in Core. This paper posted on the DKMS project page is a pretty approachable introduction for driver developers and sysadmins:

<http://linux.dell.com/dkms/dkms-ols2004.pdf>

I was surprised when looking at my FC2 RPM directory that DKMS wasn't included, given how useful this looks.

I'm not so much interested in drivers as experimental modules like the latest stuff in netfilter. (The U32 match target and the TARPIT destination look intriguing.) RH has a policy of not including these in its kernels, which is reasonable for the majority of users, but it would be great to be able to use something like DKMS to package and install these without needing a custom-compiled kernel.