Thoughts on things getting harder (WAS: Orphaning js-jquery)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 4:15 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm orphaning js-jquery, since I do not have time to maintain it.
> >
> > It's getting harder to contribute to Fedora with all the mass
> > orphaning of dependencies, and I don't have time to figure it all out.
> > This is one that needs frequent attention, as jQuery is subject to
> > lots of vulnerabilities, and deserves much more attention than I've
> > been giving it.
>
> The orphaning of dependencies shouldn't be happening, but I (and
> others) are working hard to get a solution in place that will un****
> the situation. I would have preferred not needing to do so under
> emergency conditions, but what is, is.
>
> FWIW, things should *not* be getting harder. Some folks just jumped
> the gun and made changes they weren't supposed to (yet) and now the
> Modularity team has a lot of fires to put out and very few resources
> with which to do it.

When I first started contributing to Fedora, after having been a
long-time user, it felt like it was easy for a "user" like me to
contribute back to the OS that runs on their own computers. Now,
things seem to be changing so much within Fedora that it's hard for
someone like me to contribute to my preferred "Desktop Linux distro".

A lot of these recent fast-paced changes seem to be very
specialized... affecting all contributors to help slightly improve
things for specific, small groups of people (such as those who work on
composes (dist-git) or who need a mixed duration SLAs to support their
enterprise customers (modularity), and those who operate in
containers/cloud (Atomic)). I wish the focus would shift back to the
"regular" users, so that Fedora would feel like a community-centric
"Desktop Linux" OS again.... where anybody in the community can go
from being a user to a contributor relatively easily.

Until Fedora stops focusing tooling improvements on advanced users and
specialized needs, at the cost of regular users, and focuses a
proportional amount of effort on tooling that lowers the bar so that
regular users can transition to contributor more easily, Fedora is
probably going to continue to see a mass exodus of packages, including
important dependencies, from the distro, as advanced users are lost to
attrition, and their replacements will have a harder time becoming
contributors. As an existing contributor, I feel the bar is raising...
I can't imagine how somebody new would feel.

I would like Fedora to do a few things to address this problem:

1. Focus on mentoring to onboard new people
2. Focus on tooling for contributing
3. Slow big changes to contributor processes down a bit... let tooling catch up
4. Slow things down with the release cadence; a breather, even if
temporary, could allow community healing from previous big changes,
and would give time to focus on items 1-3.

I wish I saw more focus in Fedora on community-building, and
onboarding new people, lowering the bar to contribute by improving
contributor workflows for the average contributor... so it feels like
a community distro again. Instead, I see a lot of stuff changing that
feels like it (primarily) favors the few. And, when younger or
less-experienced people do try to get involved... they just get
bombarded with toxic conversations about why they should be ashamed of
themselves for top-posting. It's not good. Not healthy.

I'm optimistic things will improve... eventually... but in the
meantime, I might have to orphan more of my packages (not that I have
very many) until things get easier.