Re: grub2-editenv: error: environment block too small after kernel install

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I made the mistake of editing my grubenv while converting my system from BIOS to UEFI.
>
> I have since manually used grub2-editenv successfully but I still get "grub2-editenv: error: environment block too small." on kernel upgrades. I've even tried manually re-padding the file with # to get to 1024 bytes.
>
> I have also filed and issue upstream that grub2-editenv is too fragile. It should be able to automatically re-pad the file to 1024 bytes.
>
> How do I "fix" this?

Is it really 1024 bytes?
# stat /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv

I'm not exactly sure when we started doing this, but..

# ls -ls /boot/grub2
total 4
4 lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 25 Apr 18 11:34 grubenv -> ../efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv

It's actually a symlink on both BIOS and UEFI. This file will be on
the /boot volume (typically ext4) on BIOS systems, and it will be on
the EFI System partition (FAT16 if anaconda creates it) on UEFI. But
if you did a conversion from BIOS to UEFI, it's possible this symlink
is broken and that's why you're getting the error.

If the real grub env on /boot/efi doesn't actually exist then you
might need to do:

#grub2-editenv /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv create

--
Chris Murphy