Re: Understanding Fedora's use of systemd presets and packaging requirements

On Sat, 2019-04-20 at 07:59 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 04:35:54PM -0400, John Florian wrote:
> > I'm generally familiar with how systemd presets work but I'm at a
> > bit of loss as to how part of all the magic works.  To best explain
> > my confusion, let me say that I make a customized live spin of
> > Fedora and I have a package we'll call "my-dist" which is similar in
> > nature to the "fedora-release" package in that it provides a custom
> > preset file.  I still use fedora-release because this spin is not
> > *that* customized, so it's best to think of this as an extension.  I
> > have another package we'll call "my-service" which has a systemd
> > service unit file and all the usual %systemd_post, etc. macros.
> > When I boot my live spin I find that my-service is not enabled
> > despite the preset in my-dist.  I can "systemctl preset-all" to
> > rectify this so I believe most requirements are correct.  I do see
> > that livemedia-creator installs my-service *before* it installs
> > my-dist so if the %systemd_post is called as each rpm is installed
> > that would explain my problem because my custom preset isn't present
> > yet.
> >
> > How does Fedora itself accomplish this???  I don't see every package
> > providing a service having a dependency on fedora-release to address
> > this ordering issue.  I can certainly stick the "systemctl
> > preset-all" into the %post of my kickstart as final cleanup, but
> > that feels dirty and wrong.  Similarly, I don't wish to have to have
> > a "Requires: my-dist" in every one of "my-service" and other
> > packages like it.  I've scrutinized fedora-release.spec and didn't
> > see anything all that different than what I have in my-dist.
>
> systemd.rpm does preset-all when it is installed, so it is enough
> that systemd.rpm is installed after fedora-release-common.rpm.
> fedora-release-common is required by setup.rpm, so it is installed
> early. But you raise a good point — I don't see any *explicit*
> ordering chain between fedora-release-common and systemd.
>
> There is no need to order individual rpms against either
> fedora-release-common and other packages providing presets or
> systemd. The only thing that is necessary is for systemd.rpm to be
> installed after all presets. If that is satisfied, packages proving
> services can be installed both earlier and later and the effect
> (in the sense of service enablement) should be identical.

AIUI, the design is that any package that *ships a preset* should run
systemctl preset on it in its scriptlets (there should be guidelines
for this somewhere but I can't find them right now). However, there's a
loophole here in that if any package that ships a preset gets ordered
before systemd itself during install, its attempt to run 'systemctl
preset' will obviously fail. This is why we run 'preset-all' in the
systemd package scriptlets: to apply the presets for any packages which
were already installed. It's not intended that all other packages can
*rely* on the call in systemd's scripts.

So, basically: if you're making a package that includes presets, run
'systemctl preset' on the presets it ships in its scripts. Not 'preset-
all', but run it specifically per preset that you ship.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey