Re: fedora-img-dl: a tool for downloading Fedora iso's and images

On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 21:55 +0800, Jens-Ulrik Petersen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:58 AM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I already basically wrote this:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/fedfind
>
> Wow, very cool, looks comprehensive, thanks.
> I see it even downloads composed images from Koji.

That's actually what it's mainly used for: it started when we (QA)
wanted to be running tests on both nightly image builds and TCs/RCs in
various places, and found ourselves writing big ugly lumps of
conditionals for where various bits turned up under different
circumstances into all these different places. I hated that, so I made
fedfind to be a sort of 'hey where the hell do I get these bits'
helper.

That was before Pungi 4, when there wasn't really a proper 'compose'
concept, so to find nightly lives it had to run Koji queries and all
sorts of nastiness like that. Since Pungi 4 things are better, but it
turns out fedfind is still useful for...various reasons (it provides a
bunch of helper features, it flattens image metadata into a more usable
form, it provides a sort of 'compatibility' implementation so you can
treat stable releases as if they were Pungi 4 composes even though they
actually either weren't built by Pungi 4 or have had their metadata
stripped and bits of themselves moved around...stuff like that).

fedfind does not actually implement downloading (you'd have to just
pipe the URLs it can give you to curl, or whatever) and doesn't
actually have a concept of 'the current rawhide' or 'the current
branched' exactly - that is, it can't find these for you:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/30/

if you ask it for just 'branched' or 'rawhide' without any version
information, it will find the latest successful pre-mirroring compose
location for you, e.g. right now it would find:

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20190416.n.0/
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/branched/Fedora-30-20190416.n.0/

it's quite a subtle difference - those things will usually be *the
same thing*, just in different places - but if it's important to you,
we could probably write that support into fedfind somehow.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey