Re: Orphaned some Java packages

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 5:24 AM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 7:46 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 9:50 AM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > - javapackages-tools, stream 201801 (buildroot-only module, not
> > > intended to be delivered to users)
> >
> > How do I enable/install this module locally? It would be very helpful
> > for local builds/testing, but is not available in:
> > sudo dnf --releasever=30 module list
>
> The official, recommended way of building modules locally is "fedpkg
> module-build-local". This command should take care of fetching and
> installing all required dependencies specified in modulemd being
> built. Therefore in this case it is enough to add dependency on
> javapackages-tools and it should "just work", for both local and
> remote builds.

Hmm. I don't know how to do modules yet. I don't know how to create a
modulemd, or where it lives, or which packages I need to put in which
module, or how to name modules, or anything. I just want to install
all the tools from javapackages-tools, so I can do a plain old `fedpkg
local` build of my regular RPMs. I know this isn't going to work in
Koji for Fedora... but it would help me, as a user of those tools,
have access to them for my own RPM building purposes.

> The module is not included in any compose, therefore dnf won't be able
> to find it in default repos. If you really want to install the module
> on your system for some reason then you can use ODCS [1] to generate a
> compose containing the module. Install ODCS client with "dnf install
> odcs-client" and then request compose with "odcs create module
> javapackages-tools:201801". ODCS will (usually) quickly create repo
> with the module and output repo URL, which you can put in a config
> file under /etc/yum.repos.d/, or pass to dnf using --repofrompath
> option. Note that contents of javapackages-tools module are not signed
> and therefore you need to skip GPG verification in order to be able to
> install it.

It seems a bit crazy to me that we have packages built for Fedora that
aren't available for users to install. Why wouldn't we make everything
maximally available? I used to love Fedora, because I just play with
all the bits. But now, a lot of those bits are going away... I have
less to play with... and the focus seems more targeted towards
Fedora's internal needs, and not Fedora's users needs. Contributing to
Fedora is so much harder now. Do we have to make it harder by making
certain packages unavailable to regular users (and casual
packager-contributors like me)?