Re: Multiple Review Requests for one source package?

Hello, Richard.

On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 at 14:44, Richard Shaw wrote:
> With PySide2 shiboken2, pyside2, and pyside2-tools are provided in one big
> source archive.
>
> I'm working on packaging it[1] but the provided setuptools build system
> calls CMake to perform builds and essentially fakeroot installs for build
> dependencies between the three projects and then uses setuptools to
> manipulate and copy/install the tree.
>
> Problem 1:
> Whether a bug in the setuptools script or a bug in setuptools itself
> (exposed by their install method) instead of "installing" all three project
> in %install it instead installs the same project 3 times when the --root
> option is used[2].
>
> I have worked around this temporarily by skipping %build and just
> performing the install which also automatically performs builds. Any advice
> setuptools experts would be appreciated.

That doesn't seem like a good solution. I'm no setuptools expert though.
What does upstream say about that?

> Problem 2:
> Trying to rationally break up the monolithic project into rational
> sub-packages (including -devel).
>
> Right now I've got the following:
> pyside2-tools-5.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
> python3-pyside2-5.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
> python3-pyside2-devel-5.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
> python3-shiboken2-5.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
> python-pyside2-5.12.1-1.fc31.src.rpm
> shiboken2-5.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
>
> But getting the inter-package dependencies setup correctly is proving to be
> a pain because I'm only building for Rawhide in mock.

Why is it a pain?

> Other distros, notably Arch just call the cmake projects directly instead
> of using  setuptools. There is a concern that the package may not be 100%
> complete since setuptools does some install massaging. But we're not doing
> a standalone install (embedded QT libraries) and I think I can pass the
> correct options to the CMake build to make sure things install correctly, I
> just having tried it yet.
>
> Option A:
> Continue fighting setuptools...
>
> Option B1:
> Build all the packages using CMake, which would require some sort of
> fakeroot install for shiboken2 and pyside2.

Why do you need fakeroot here? Nothing wrong with using it though.
There's also pseudo which might be better.

> Option B2:
> Build all the packages using CMake but use the same source 3 times for 3
> separate packages. like the original pyside and build in the typical
> fashion:
>
> shiboken2 -> buildroot override -> Pyside2 -> buildroot override ->
> pyside2-tools -> All in one update.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd go with whatever requires less work to maintain and release. A or B1
seem like the best candidates. You wouldn't need to play the build and
add buildroot override game for every update.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org