Re: Looking for an advice on file location in Fedora

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:44:53AM +0100, Michal Ruprich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing FRR so that it could be added to Fedora and since there
> are a lot of experienced packagers here, I would like to ask for an
> advice. FRR is a fork of quagga and it provides a couple of routing
> daemons(bgp, isis, odpf, rip, eigrp etc.). Originally in quagga, each
> daemon had its own binary in /usr/sbin and each daemon could be started
> via systemctl(including the zebra daemon which is needed to run other
> routing daemons). In FRR the developers have chosen a different
> approach. They provide a script that takes care of the start-up of all
> requested daemons - that means that all daemons are started via a single
> systemctl command.
That doesn't sound like a good idea. It seems that they reimplement
daemon management internally, which usually doesn't go well.

> There are a couple of other scripts that are used for
> reloading the daemons etc. I am now wondering about where to place all
> relevant binary files and all the scripts.
Do the daemons have names that are unique enough to not cause conflicts
with other packages? If yes, then it should be OK to put them all in
/usr/bin/. (There's no reason to care about "sbin" vs "bin", since nowadays
both are included in $PATH.)

> The upstream idea about the location is to put all binary files and all
> the scripts to /usr/lib/frr/ which does not make much sense to me.
It is actually a pretty good choice, except that you say that those
executables are supposed to be called by the users directly. If they
weren't, or if were only rarely, this upstream decision would be
appropriate. In particular, there's no effective difference between
/usr/libexec and /usr/lib/ffr, so using /usr/lib/ffr would be correct.

> My
> first idea was to keep the main script in /usr/sbin and put the rest to
> /usr/libexec, but that would only make sense if the binaries and scripts
> were not meant to be run by the user, which is not the case. It is very
> well possible to start each daemon directly without interfering with
> systemd or any of the scripts. Same applies for each of the script.
>
> So the question is whether it is acceptable to keep the scripts in the
> /usr/sbin directory together with the binaries or whether I should put
> them somewhere else?
>
> I would be grateful for any ideas about this. Thanks.

Zbyszek