Re: /etc/yum.repos.d -> /etc/distro.repos.d

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM Samuel Rakitničan
<srakitnican@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please don't tie the name with the particular software to avoid this issue in the future. If you must then I think rpm.repos.d is less likely to avoid this issue in the future.

+1

Just like a few others have mentioned in this thread, I too consider
the choice of "dnf" for a package manager quite unfortunate. It does
not really stand for anything (except for the notorious Did Not
Finish).

For the same reasons why "systemd" or any other basic system utilities
are not named after some random spur-of-the-moment sequence of
characters or words, *the* package manager on a UNIX-like system,
something that's really at the core of system administration, should
also prefer a sensible name such as "pkg" or similar.

In case of "dnf", I understand that one of the reasons was to make it
easy to touch-type, which it is (as opposed to "yum"), but that
quality is not in contradiction with the choice of a more descriptive
(yet short and simple) name.  The name is fine for an experimental
project but those days are long gone and dnf is now the de-facto
successor of yum.

That said, if we should pick a different name today, "yum" seems like
the most sensible choice. While still far from ideal, it has
stickiness within the Fedora/RHEL community, and is a "trademark",
really.

--
Michal Domonkos
Software Engineer, DNF stack