Re: Sphinx and xindy

MH> There should be a configuration option that disbales xindly. Does
MH> the documentation build with it?

Since xindy isn't really something that can be relied upon, is it
possible (or reasonable) to do this globally in our sphinx packages?
Even when it was enabled, it was architecture-limited which would
force that limitation to propagate down to potentially anything that
used sphinx.  (xindy is written in LISP and builds with clisp.  There's
a certain irony in that Jerry is also a maintainer of clisp.)

I do think that the disabling of xindy was supposed to be only temporary
so I think it could be re-enabled, but having it off probably makes
texlive maintenance easier.  The proper solution, I guess, is to fix
clisp to work on s390x and then fix whatever issues prevent xindy from
being enabled all the time.  I think it would help to remove it from
texlive-base entirely and let it stand on its own.  That way issues with
it wouldn't prevent texlive-base from building.

 - J<