Re: Orphaned packages to be retired (Java packages in 3 weeks)

On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 12:16 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> Maybe, but it will cause the removal of other packages that depend on
> their regular (non-modular) builds. You are forcing the hands of
> their
> maintainers before the infrastructure to make modular packages
> available
> as build dependencies to regular packages is in place to remake their
> packages into modules, let them be retired or pick up your orphans.
> If
> it were ready, your moving these packages to modules would be a
> non-event for everyone concerned except you. Instead of helping with
> that (or just waiting), you are about to cause the retirement of
> quite a
> few packages whose maintainers want nothing to do with Modularity.
> That's not excellent.

It's important to keep in mind that many of us volunteer to work on
Fedora, including those of us who work at Red Hat (and even including
those of us who work at Red Hat full time on Fedora!) I do personally
wish we had RPM maintainers for these Java packages, but I don't think
we should make demands from our volunteers. That's not how a community
project works. I think it's OK to express that we wish there were RPMs
for these packages, but we shouldn't blame any particular person when
that doesn't happen. Things happen in open source when people do the
work to make those things happen. As much as I wish we could save these
packages, I am not going to choose to use my time that way. So the most
I would say about it is "it'd be nice if someone else volunteered to do
that work".

I sometimes receive bug reports in Bodhi where the reporter has a
demanding attitude. I welcome bug reports, but I also have to be honest
that maintaining Bodhi is far more work than the people who show up to
do it can handle.  Most things in Bodhi will only happen if someone
volunteers to write the code, so most of the bugs we get filed aren't
going to get worked on. It's not helpful to either party if the
reporter has a demanding attitude.