Re: F31 System-Wide Change proposal: Enable Compiler Security hardening flags by default in G

On 3/11/19 11:48 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Ben Cotton:
>
>> '''-Wformat -Wformat-security -fstack-protector-strong
>> --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O'''''
>
> --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 will not affect anything because
> -fstack-protector-strong uses a completely different heuristic.
>
>> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>> We provide better security both for our packages and for
>> applications/programs which users are building.
>
> We can check using annocheck if there are packages missing hardening and
> fix them.  What's the current level of coverage we have?

The intention is to have a secure compiler defaults. I have not taken a
survey of what is the current coverage, but that is not really the goal
here. Also having secure defaults help with user applications and not
only fedora packages.

> Have the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 packaging changes been upstreamed?
> We were aiming for nearly-complete coverage there.

Not sure about this, but again this is not the aim.
>> == Scope ==
>> * Proposal owners: Patch gcc to enable these options by default. Patch
>> should be very simple, since the compile/link code isnt actually
>> touched.
>
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 by default needs patching of glibc because of the
> pesky warning it prints without optimization.
What is the amount of work this requires? Can we aim this for F31? Also
these are warnings and not errors i assume?

> What about PIE by defauld and non-lazy binding by default?  These two
> are probably the two hardest to get right with CFLAGS/LDFLAGS injection.
> (PIE is the reason for the -specs= hack.)

I am aiming this for F32, The intention is to add small number of secure
defaults to GCC for each release. I am open to add PIE by default
though, if you feel its not going to break large number of packages.

--
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala / Red Hat Product Security Team