Re: Guidance for a new contributor

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 06:23:17PM +0100, Sasa Savic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> TLDR first,
>
> I am:
> * Potential contributor, searching for guidance
> * Good with Python, C# (probably nobody cares) and JS, basics of C/C++
> * Experienced with everything above sys engineering (cli/gui, f/s webdev, ...)
>
> Want to:
> * help first (port to py3, fix bug or two, help infra apps, ...)
> * learn (improve my c/cpp, work more in devops)
>
> So, as you can see I really want to hop in and help in Fedora development.
> I dumped my side project which means I'll have probably ~10 weekly to work.
> Since I am not that creative and don't use a lot of tools, I don't have
> much to maintain for myself so I am willing to help towards goals for Fedora.
>
> I'm most comfortable writing Python for any purpose. IMO that would be the
> best use of me (porting, tooling and/or web dev). On the other hand, I would
> really want to improve my C and I am willing to work hard on that. Also, I
> worked on developing tooling and could help infrastructure team.

If you are interested in python, then there's a big effort underway to
port things over to python3 and remove python2 altogether from Fedora
in the future
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mass_Python_2_Package_Removal,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Sphinx2,
https://fedora.portingdb.xyz/). If you follow those links, you can
find large amount of things to fix. You could for example open pull
requests in src.fp.o for various packages that still need to be update.

Zbyszek