Re: Allowing Epoch to be reset between releases

MH> One thing to consider here is other packages that have Requires
MH> etc. on something like "foo > 1:1.2", so if it is automated, this
MH> part needs to be automated as well.

Indeed.  And of course this breaks any such dependency outside of Fedora
as well.  (Either in COPR repositories, RPMFusion, or local packages.)
I should have mentioned this as a potential downside, since it was part
of previous discussions.

MH> If we do this, we might have a "flag day" but not automated for all
MH> 756 packages, but opt in.

Sure, maybe at first.  Stage it in over a couple of releases if
necessary, or having a couple of flag days.  Though it's not quite as
many if you exclude the Epoch: 0 ones.  (Though I recall that there is
some subtlety between Epoch: 0 and no epoch at all.)

But that's an implementation detail; the fundamental question is whether
there is any general support for dropping epochs, and more specifically
if FESCo would accept it on principle.  And I can understand why they
may not, because while epochs are annoying, we've certainly been living
with them for quite some time.

MH> Aka we create a window on rawhide, and packagers would sign up for
MH> this, we announce the window, let them do it, and we close the
MH> window... ?

The issue is that if a compose happens while the window is open, we have
more than one rawhide update where distro-sync is needed.  I think it's
worth spending a bit of effort to minimize the issues for those running
rawhide.

MH> However I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Yes, that's basically the problem.  History has shown that we can live
with epochs.  But even if it's a limited effort, it would be nice to
give packagers who want to get rid of epochs a way to do so.

 - J<