Re: Downgrading glibc from Rawhide removed /bin/sh (!)

On 3/7/19 5:52 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Panu Matilainen:

On 3/7/19 1:13 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Richard W. M. Jones:

$ sudo dnf install glibc-headers.i686
Downgrading:

That looks like a bug in itself.

The last time I looked at something similar, I saw this: RPM would not
adjust a pre-existing symbolic link to a new target very late in the
transaction.  Like deleting old files which are gone in an update or
downgrade, this does *not* happen when the unpacking of the replacement
package happens, but towards the conclusion of the transaction.  In the
meantime, scriptlets run with the broken file system.

In your case, maybe one of the scriptlet errors prevented the final step
with the adjustment of the symbolic link by RPM.

(Just to be clear, the symbolic link is regularly packaged, it's not
something that we manage using scripts.)

IIRC the issue is that at when ldconfig runs from the package scripts,
on downgrade the newer file is still on disk and thus ldconfig leaves
the link the way it is, but at the end of transaction it'll be gone
and symlinks can be broken.

Is there a chance that RPM will be changed to run more scriptlets with
the final disk contents?

There's %transfiletriggerin, %transfiletriggerpostun and %posttrans that run after the entire transaction, and then the individual postun-type scripts/triggers. What is it that you're missing?

$ rpm -q --filetriggers glibc-common
transfiletriggerin scriptlet (using /bin/sh) -- /lib, /lib64,
/usr/lib, /usr/lib64
/sbin/ldconfig
transfiletriggerpostun scriptlet (using /bin/sh) -- /lib, /lib64,
/usr/lib, /usr/lib64
/sbin/ldconfig

The %transfiletriggerpostun would've probably fixed it if it used -p
<lua> instead of shell.

We switched to the shell for the benefit of rpm-ostree.

Sigh...

	- Panu -