Re: New guy - with a question

On Wed, 2019-03-06 at 18:13 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 06. 03. 19 18:01, Steven A. Falco wrote:
> > I'm new to this list, but I have been building packages for KiCad for a little while now.  I have a question about rawhide; is it in a freeze right now?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I built kicad-5.1.0-0.1.rc2.fc31 on koji back on March 2, but I don't see it (or any other fc31) packages on dl.fedoraproject.org in the rawhide area.  I'm sure this is perfectly normal, but I don't know what to expect.
> >
> > If someone could please educate me or point me to documentation on how this works, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Hey. I don't know if this is documented or just tribal knowledge, but there is
> this process called a "compose" - it composes the images and repositories from
> packages in Koji.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide

"Each day (or sometimes more than once per day) , a full 'compose' of
the tree is attempted. This will usually result in the creation of all
or most of the usual install, live and disk images, installer trees and
so forth. The composes are synced to the /fedora/linux/development/
directory on the mirrors, and you can find the images there."

Later on there's the section
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Producing_Rawhide ,
which includes more detail, but also talks about a mechanism which
hasn't actually been activated yet...I will tweak it a bit.

> If it doesn't compose, there is no update in the repo.
>
> And it has been broken since 2019-02-17:
>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/
>
> see STATUS file in each dir.
>
> Also see issues reported at:
>
> https://pagure.io/dusty/failed-composes/issues
>
> (search for Fedora-Rawhide and DOOMED)

To be clear, it's not that no-one is trying to fix it. Releng and QA
folks have been investigating and fixing the problems the whole time -
we've probably fixed about a dozen different ones. The problem is that
every time we fix *one* issue, a new package shows up in the mean time
and breaks something else. Since each compose attempt takes about 10
hours, this is a slow and painful cycle when it happens...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey