Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Gating Rawhide - Single package updates

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 09:40:32AM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 02. 03. 19 v 8:09 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 16:19 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GatingRawhideSinglePackageUpdates
> >>
> >> == Summary ==
> >> We want to gate packages on test results before they can land in
> >> rawhide. This will reduce the amount of broken dependency,
> >> uninstallable packages and broken composes leading to a more stable
> >> rawhide as well as less work on the infrastructure and rel-eng teams
> >> to keep composes working.
> >>
> >> This project will be split in two phases, at first only single package
> >> updates will be supported, in a second stage, we will add support for
> >> multi-packages updates.
> >>
> >> This proposal is about the phase 1 of this project.
> >>
> >> == Owner ==
> >> * Name: [[User:pingou|Pierre-Yves Chibon]]
> >> * Email: pingou - pingoured.fr
> >>
> >> People who are/will be involved in this:
> >> * Coordinator: [[User:pingou|Pierre-Yves Chibon]]
> >> * Bodhi: [[User:bowlofeggs|Randy Barlow]] and [[User:abompard|Aurélien Bompard]]
> >> * Fedora CI: [[User:dperpeet|Dominik Perpeet]]
> > It might be a good idea to have a QA contact here, in case people
> > choose to block on tests maintained by the QA team (Taskotron or openQA
> > tests).
> >
> >> == Detailed Description ==
> >>
> >> Querying the Bodhi database, it was revealed that 95% of all our
> >> updates involve a single package.
> >>
> >> To be exhaustive, here are the exact number found by Randy:
> >>
> >> Of all time:
> >>
> >>    Single build updates: 123,657 (94.1%)
> >>    Multi  build updates:   7,766 ( 5.9%)
> >>
> >>    Total:                131,423
> >>
> >> Per release:
> >>
> >>    Fedora 29:
> >>
> >>    Single:  4,675 (93.7%)
> >>    Multi:     316 ( 6.3%)
> >>
> >>    Fedora 28:
> >>
> >>    Single:  9,153 (94.5%)
> >>    Multi:     536 ( 5.5%)
> >>
> >>    EPEL 7:
> >>
> >>    Single: 12,664 (94.0%)
> >>    Multi:     814 ( 6.0%)
> > I'd suggest the implication that single-package updates are "the norm"
> > is slightly problematic, for two reasons:
> >
> > 1) Rawhide is very different from stable releases, and even from
> > Branched. Major changes like API breaks are not meant to be sent to
> > stable releases at all, by policy. So I don't think you can necessarily
> > rely very strongly on data regarding updates in Branched and stable
> > releases to draw conclusions about the likely nature of changes in
> > Rawhide.
> >
> > 2) This does not consider the not uncommon case that updates *should
> > have been* multi-package updates, but they were done wrong.
>

> These were my first thoughts as well.
>
> Also, how are the mass rebuilds envisioned?

Just as anyone would: by opting-out of gating.
Maybe that term is overloaded. The way I see it there are two ways to opt-out:
- remove the gating.yml file in the package's git repo, not scalable especially
  for mass-rebuild
- build in the koji candidate tag directly, thus by-passing the testing tag
  where tests happen. This would be the approach releng would do for
  mass-rebuild.

> I can't imagine that Ruby
> rebuild will be held from entering rawhide due to some broken
> dependency. Not sure how you want distinguish the package, which is
> typically "single" from "multi" package.

This is a decision left in the hands of the packagers, I'm pretty sure they know
more their packages than I do and thus I'm in no position to make this decision.

Does this help?
Pierre