Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Retire YUM 3

> > I have an update on the koji end.  The 1.17 release will not only drop the yum dependency, it will also have full python 3 support (except for image building that uses oz / imagefactory).  Unfortunately, there is only medium confidence that the 1.17 release will be ready by the F30 devel freeze on Tuesday.  It depends on whether QE uncovers any issues in its final testing.  If we're not able to land the release on Tuesday, what is the backup plan?
> >

> I'm not sure. Honestly, I'd rather take a snapshot of git master
> that's going to be Koji 1.17 in Python 3 form for F30+ so that we can
> iterate and get to the final release.

Who is the royal "we" in this context? In the lead up to release both
infra and rel-eng are extremely busy and generally the last thing
needed is more things to do and more problems to debug.

> None of the Koji components are shipped on any of the media, it's only
> accessed through the repositories, so there's a very low risk there.

I'm more concerned about the stability of the server side components
and the extra stress put on them and the team that supports them 24*7

> Moreover, releng redeploys post-GA for prod, so that gives us a long
> window to suss out issues. We could even have staging upgraded early
> to "kick the tires" if need be.

I think upgrading staging early is a fantastic idea.

> The worst thing that could happen if 1.17.0 goes out and there's a
> problem is that 1.17.1 has to be issued. In the grand scheme of
> things, that's really not that bad.

The problem is having the developers available to deal with the issues
to make 1.17.1 with the required fixes