modular repositories in mock configs: please don't

Hi everybody,

Recently, modular repositories were enabled in the mock configs for fedora 29+.

Now, I can't build at least one of my packages (elementary-music) in
fedora 29 chroots, due to dependency issues within modules. dnf just
gives up with this rather unhelpful message:

 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - package libpeas-devel-1.22.0-9.module_2123+73a9ef6f.x86_64 is excluded

I don't want or need modules installed for this package to build.

See: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-cca3e242eb#comment-901551

IMO it was a mistake to enable modular repositories in mock configs by
default. Now dnf only downloads even more metadata for no benefit (or,
it even breaks dependency resolution, as in this case).

Do I really have to manually edit mock's config files to disable
modular repos, to get builds equivalent to koji (where modules aren't
available / usable either)? I want to test builds locally, before I
push them to koji builders ...

Any insights why this was done?

Can it be fixed please?

Or am I the only one having problems?