Re: Proposal: Stewardship Group / SIG for taking care of otherwise "module-only" packages

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 7:46 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Fabio Valentini:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Fabio Valentini:

> >> The name sounds very confusing to me, considering that this seems to be
> >> specific to modular content.
> >
> > That's why I'm asking for comments. I failed to come up with a better
> > name, though.
> >
> > This Group / SIG would provide "classic" maintainership for otherwise
> > semi-abandoned packages that only live on as franken-packages
> > ("modules"), until the remaining shortcomings of modules are overcome,
> > or until they are abandoned.
>
> It's still not clear to me what this group is supposed to do.
>
> Does the group produce modular or non-modular content?  What would
> qualify a package for maintenance by this group?
>
> Why don't we need this in a non-module context?  Why do modules require
> such a group?

This group would be for maintaining packages that are modularized in a
non-module context so that it's actually usable by the broader
ecosystem. Modules are not usable for non-module packages, and third
parties building on top of Fedora can't use modules at all either.
Since module developers don't care about these users, this SIG will.

Fabio, I'm willing to help where I can with this, too.