toolchain requirements for external kernel modules

I've been experimenting with enabling CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS in the kernel
since I've heard some people express interest in stackleak (I'm interested
as well). a gcc plugin gets built as an .so file for use during
compilation. This means we need to package this .so file as part
of kernel-devel for building external modules. This is easy to
do but it also now introduces a tighter restriction on the toolchain
used for building modules since gcc will refuse to load a plugin and
fail to build the module if the versions don't match. Arguably, there's
always been a requirement to use the same toolchain version but there may
have been some flexibility for forcing it.

Can anyone see major problems with requiring the same toolchain
version for building external modules as the kernel?

Thanks,
Laura